Monday, May 2, 2016

'Prophetess' Indicted for Stealing Funds Intended to Feed Children

Posted By on Mon, May 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM

click to enlarge Jives-Nealy - KINGDOM DOMINION WORLDWIDE FACEBOOK PAGE
  • Kingdom Dominion Worldwide Facebook page
  • Jives-Nealy
A Memphis woman was indicted on charges last week that she allegedly stole federal grant money intended to feed hungry children. 

The Tennessee Comptroller’s office and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) allege that Jeannette Jives-Nealy stole $162,165 in grant funds through her Kingdom Dominion Worldwide Ministries, Inc.

Jives-Nealy got the funds through the Summer Food Service Program for Children, a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) program administered by the Tennessee Department of Human Services (DHS). The program is intended to provide free meals to children living in economically disadvantaged areas during the summer months.

Jives-Nealy, who calls herself “Pastor Prophetess Jeannette Jives Nealy” on the ministry’s Facebook page, claimed she fed thousands of children, but investigators said all of the money was converted to personal use.

She got the money even though she did not give credible documentation to DHS verifying that her group actually bought, prepared, or gave any food to children. Jives-Nealy claimed those records were destroyed by flooding “earlier in the day,” according to the TBI.

DHS ordered Kingdom Dominion ro repay the grant money. Instead, Jives-Nealy was indicted by the Shelby County Grand Jury last week  on one count of theft over $60,000.

“It is disappointing to learn that such a large sum of public money could be provided without any credible documents to support the feeding of children,” Tennessee Comptroller Justin P. Wilson said in a statement. “The victims in this case include not only taxpayers, but the thousands of children who may have otherwise been fed.”

Comments (17)

Showing 1-17 of 17

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-17 of 17

Add a comment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Readers also liked…

  • Hundreds to March Downtown In Support of Women's Rights

    • Jan 8, 2017
  • Memphis' "Summer of Fear"

    Thirty-seven years ago this week, Memphis became a city in fear. In the late summer of 1969, a cold-blooded killer stalked the streets, and over a period of 28 days, police made one grisly discovery after another. In the end, the slayer was captured after a wild chase by a posse of ordinary citizens. After his arrest, George Howard Putt told reporters, “I’d do it all again.” The murder spree began on the afternoon of August 14, 1969 ...
    • Mar 16, 2016
  • Flyer Illustrator Greg Cravens Named to National Board

    • Apr 13, 2017
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
© 1996-2017

Contemporary Media
460 Tennessee Street, 2nd Floor | Memphis, TN 38103
Visit our other sites: Memphis Magazine | Memphis Parent | Inside Memphis Business
Powered by Foundation