Memphis Mayor AC Wharton was spinning tunes on WEVL this morning. He picked 10 songs you shouldn't live without. Naomi Van Tol chronicled it all on her Facebook page, which is where I lifted this from. Thanks, Naomi!
Here's Wharton's List:
1. "Little Man" - Alan Jackson
2. "I'm Gonna Hire a Wino to Decorate Our Home" - David Frizzell
3. "Peace in the Valley" - Elvis Presley
4. "That's the Way Love Is" - Bobby Blue Bland
5. "I've Got Dreams" - Otis Redding
6. "Driving Wheel" - Junior Parker
7. "Coming Up on the Rough Side" - Gerry Thompson
8. "A Love Like Yours" - Martha Reeves & the Vandellas
9. "He Stopped Loving Her Today" - George Jones
10. "At Last" - Etta James
Naomi Van Tol: He told a little story with each song. Little Man evokes his daddy's grocery store, selling baloney by the slice and refusing to sell beer because he was a good Church of God man.
His family requested Peace in the Valley (by letter) from a local radio station when his grandmother Frances Moxley died, and they all listened to it together at his aunt's house.
I've Got Dreams: "When times are rough, sometimes the only thing people have in their fuel tank are the fumes that are their dreams." He had a nice little metaphor about coasting on fumes until you get to the next safe exit.
It's hard not to like a mayor with cool musical tastes. Way to represent, AC!