At least, I have a few more days to decide.
Interesting column. I don't know any of the candidates. I have seen signs for all of them, but never met any of them. I have a few thoughts.
1. Playing (or not playing) college football does not qualify you or disqualify you from public service. I could make the case that someone who plays four years has shown the commitment and discipline that I would expect out of an elected official, but someone could leave a team for very valid reasons.
2. Once again, I don't know any of the candidates, but I think Lit has every right to ask "Where's Reid?" In important part of voters decision is contrasting the choices among candidates. Reid could have blunted this attack simply by "showing up." Showing up will be important on the council.
3. Rwsmith, what if I don't show up at Colonial? Do you expect me to seek him out? I am not the one running for office. None of them has asked for my vote yet, but I am insulted that you think I should have to wait until I show up to vote and make this important decision. However, kudos to Reid for being at the polling station. That's more effort than some others who are running for office.
4. RuralFreeDelivery, Pearse doesn't sound a father's name to me.
5. UTJoed, Lit doesn't seem fearful to me, and there are plenty of candidates in the race who have fresh ideas-regardless of their age. Look at the www.bettermemphis.org website and check out the scores. It looks like Desi Franklin was well ahead of the pack.
I love the Tigers but I wouldn't vote for Keith Lee for the City Council based on his stellar career so Reid doesn't get a pass from me. I do think it is sad that you choose to insult current and past council members when saying we have been lacking strong business minds in city government. What about Sammons, Marshall, Taylor, McCormack, Bobango,etc...? What does Reid have that these guys were missing? That's not meant to be an attack, but you brought it up.
I just want someone to give me a reason to vote for either Franklin, Hedgepeth, or Lit-they have big shoes to fill. All I have right now are billboards and mailpieces.
By Flyer Staff
download this issue
click here to see more »