To The Citizens of Memphis:
The Heisley group will do the same to your city as they did to ours. Mr. Heisley accumulated his wealth by purchasing and flipping failing businesses, do not think for one minute that if a better deal comes along a couple of years after the team moves to your city that he will not pull the team again. Below I will share some key indicators which may serve as a warning sign to the good people of your city.
HOW TO MOVE AN NBA TEAM
1. Hire a snake oil salesman as G.M.
2. Hire a rookie head coach (instead of Lenny Wilkins, who would have loved to come to Vancouver).
3. Hold training camp in California instead of the home city.
4. Do not attempt to contact season-ticket holders in the off-season to renew seats.
5. Do not attempt to market the team to the corporate community.
6. Kiss of death (have owner sing national anthem at the season opener).
Why doesn't Heisley fund your new stadium himself? It makes sense for a sports franchise to own its building, revenue generated by concessions, parking, special events, and concerts would diversify his investment, reduce risk, and also show he is in for the long term. Or would it be easier to have taxpayers fund the venture, reduce commitment, and leave the door open for a move down the road if he chooses?
Nail this guy down, or Memphis will be in trouble.