Thursday, January 14, 2016

Frances Dancy Hooks Has Died at Age 88

Posted By on Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Frances Dancy Hooks
  • Frances Dancy Hooks
Civil rights activist Frances Dancy Hooks passed away on Thursday. Hooks was the widow of Benjamin Hooks and a champion for social change.

Hooks fought for women's rights, civil rights, and sought to improve the quality of education. The former Memphis teacher taught second grade at Rosenwald School and later went on to work as in an advisory role to Ben, the director of the NAACP from 1977 to 1992. Frances founded Women in the NAACP, a women's rights group within the civil rights organization. WIN raised money for emergency relief for women through fashion shows and social events.

The Benjamin L. Hooks Institute for Social Change at the University of Memphis released the following statement on Frances' death:
"The Benjamin L. Hooks Institute for Social Change at the University of Memphis was saddened to learn today of the death of Frances Dancy Hooks. Born on Feb. 23, 1927, Mrs. Hooks was a devoted wife to Dr. Benjamin L. Hooks for more than 50 years, serving as his confidante, traveling companion, appointment secretary, and biggest supporter. Yet she was also an accomplished educator and civil rights activist in her own right. During Dr. Hooks’ tenure as executive director of the NAACP, Mrs. Hooks worked with local chapters throughout the country in her role as national coordinator of women to address vital educational, social and health care issues. She was a strong supporter of the Hooks Institute’s mission to continue her husband’s legacy to advocate for the civil and human rights of all people. She leaves behind family and friends that deeply loved her and will miss her strong, guiding presence."

Tags: , ,


Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment


Readers also liked…

  • Novel Opening in Booksellers Space

    • May 9, 2017
  • Fiery Suicide Galvanizes Midtown Music Community

    • May 16, 2017
  • Memphis' "Summer of Fear"

    Thirty-seven years ago this week, Memphis became a city in fear. In the late summer of 1969, a cold-blooded killer stalked the streets, and over a period of 28 days, police made one grisly discovery after another. In the end, the slayer was captured after a wild chase by a posse of ordinary citizens. After his arrest, George Howard Putt told reporters, “I’d do it all again.” The murder spree began on the afternoon of August 14, 1969 ...
    • Mar 16, 2016

Most Commented On

© 1996-2017

Contemporary Media
460 Tennessee Street, 2nd Floor | Memphis, TN 38103
Visit our other sites: Memphis Magazine | Memphis Parent | Inside Memphis Business
Powered by Foundation