A Southern Classic 

Circa 1860 Greek Revival cottage in Greenlaw.


Before there was Uptown, there was Greenlaw, a neighborhood laid out in 1856 — the first addition to the original city plan.

The brothers Greenlaw moved to Memphis from Virginia, opened a brickyard, and bought property north of town, across the busy Bayou Gayoso. The Wolf River and the bayou were sources of transportation for the many sawmills, blacksmiths, and cotton gins built along their banks. Because of this, the Greenlaws had little trouble selling their lots for new houses.

John L. Saffarans, owner of a lumberyard and a partner in the new subdivision, sold the land for this house in 1859 to Steven B. Costen, who opened a brickyard on North Third Street and completed his elegant Greek Revival house just before the Civil War.

Building in Greenlaw peaked at the end of the 1800s and rapidly declined after three floods in the early 1900s. A flurry of building in the past five years has reinvigorated this area just north of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. One of the new residents bought the Costen house in 2001 and spent two years renovating it.

The original block of the house is a typical story-and-a-half Greek Revival cottage, with two rooms on each side of a center stair hall and two bedrooms above. Usually, the kitchen was in a service ell off the rear. The rear wing was rebuilt during the recent renovation, making it a story-and-a-half also.

The front of the house retains much of its original character. The rooms have 12-foot ceilings and wide-plank, heart-pine floors. A heavy four-panel cypress door and tall, walkout windows connect to the deep, south-facing front porch. These windows were originally shuttered. Restoring the shutters would add a lovely flourish to the facade. A retaining wall lifts the house above street level, where it is framed by two large magnolias. It couldn't be more Southern.

Two original rooms on the main floor are now a spacious master suite. In the bath, an old white-marble vanity top gives the feel of a period washstand. There's also a capacious shower and a footed tub. A walk-in closet separates the bedroom and bath.

The rear addition houses the kitchen and breakfast room. The kitchen has pine cabinets with hard-rock maple counters. The ceiling is outfitted with salvaged antique beams.

The original back porch has been glassed in and a half bath and laundry created at the far end. Two new bedrooms, a full bath, and an office are upstairs. The big backyard has plenty of room for a garage with easy street access.

This distinctive house is one of a very few antebellum houses left in Memphis. Its generously scaled rooms and original elements, coupled with its thorough but sensitive renovation, make this house a Southern classic. •

274 Mill

Approximately 3,300 sq. ft.

5 bedrooms, 2-1/2 baths


Realtor: Crye-Leike, 276-8800

Agent: Anne Marie Upshaw, 301-5391



Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment



Politics Beat Blog

GOP Figure Bill Giannini Killed in Car Crash

Politics Beat Blog

Mackler Out of Senate Race, Yields to Bredesen

Beyond the Arc

The Hustle Dispatch: Week 6

News Blog

Public Picks Zoo Parking Lot Plan

News Blog

Cooper-Young Nears Historical Landmark Status

Intermission Impossible

Bad Santa: Tennessee Shakespeare turns Godot into a Holiday Hellscape

Hungry Memphis

New Central BBQ to open

News Blog

Just City Launches New Group


More by John Griffin

  • Waverly Plantation

    Circa 1880 Greek Revival in Arkansas
    • Oct 8, 2009
  • Cedar Crest

    Circa 1848 Greek Revival in Red Banks
    • Aug 20, 2009
  • One of a Kind

    Circa 1927 romantic bungalow in Cooper-Young.
    • Jul 16, 2009
  • More »
© 1996-2017

Contemporary Media
460 Tennessee Street, 2nd Floor | Memphis, TN 38103
Visit our other sites: Memphis Magazine | Memphis Parent | Inside Memphis Business
Powered by Foundation