What no one seems to mention when asking "why in God's name didn't you do something about the economy, Mr. President?"....is that when you are placed on a long train full of lead that has just crested a large hill and is plummeting down the other side with increasing acceleration it is hard to stop on a dime. Is it not appropriate to ask Mitt Romney how he would have done any better for the country's economic woes, in the face of a world recession that is reeking havoc in the EU and with China's quarterly increases in GNP falling precipitously? The fact that the US is having any positive growth at all and has increased employment for over 2 1/2 years should be a testimonial when considering that we were losing 800,000 a month when the man came into office.
And the loopholes that Romney/Ryan will be finding in their tax plan to pay for the tax cuts that they want to apply will only hurt the middle class who need them.
And is there any reason for "class war fare"? Well, what is someone to do when the people with the most money are accumulating it more quickly and the people with the least are becoming more desperate? When does desperation develop a voice? And why shouldn't it? Should people with no health insurance just keep quiet while they or their families slowly rot? The Student Loan debacle is illustrative.....Here the banks were taking a free ride for 60B dollars/yr. Obama rightly decided that they brought no additional service to the table to deserve this money and now the unnecessary middle man is gone. What, tell me, does the medical insurance industry provide to the delivery of health care? Do they provide care? No. They are billing companies who take a large administrative fee and then a nice profit. Medicare is also a medical billing company. It takes about 15% of the administrative cost to run itself relative to the for profit insurance companies and Medicare takes no profit. Is there any legitimate question devoid of political horse crap that can support the money wasting cost of the medical insurance companies. Shouldn't the hundreds of billions of dollars that would be saved go to support the caring of the sick as the 60B is going to support the provision of education?
I have patients making 50k/y with a wife and 3 kids. They have no insurance and won't. Fourteen thousand dollars in cash a year to cover them is a bit high for this family. They make too much money for State insurance. Let em rot! And tell them to keep their mouths shut. We don't want to hear any of this class warfare business. It's not fair to say that...we're in an election year, for God's sakes!
Would Thomas Jefferson, or James Madison, or Ben Franklin chip in a bit of their own money to support the country they were trying to form, Mr. Romney? Or would they say that they'd only do so if all the farmers and trappers and tailors and liverymen did the same. A touch too stingy for Jefferson, Madison, and Frankin, I'd bet. I believe they would be more than saddened by the stridency of the rich against the poor.
And what would our Founding Fathers say if they knew that 250 years later there were people on the Supreme Court who were taking their words written in a different age with different prerequisite structures as static statements of everlasting truth. Would they laugh with tears in their eyes about Citizens United? What would Jefferson say about Scalia? The "red letter" Constitution. There were some early errors. People of African descent were about 60% people. The other 40% was......not sure. Men dictated the delivery of the social compact. Woman made bread and spread their legs. Things have changed, Mr. Scalia.
This attack on the far right Republican party (and there is only a far right Republican party here in 2012) is brought with a whole heart. "The Greatest Country on Earth" does not take the care of my patients with the same desire and integrity as many of the other "Not the Greatest Countries on Earth". So, should we just march to the maddening drummer who is now very much a liar. Or should we continue to push to even out all the overflowing cash that is around and spend it more wisely on ourselves. We are the owners of this country. I'll be chipping in more as will my children.
Nice to start my day with some fine 21st century journalistic literature from a brilliant purveyor of same, RJH. Believe I'll "get on with it", my day, now.
By Leonard Gill
download this issue
click here to see more »