Monday, August 3, 2015

Man Accused of Killing Police Officer Turns Himself In

Posted By on Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:36 PM

click to enlarge Tremaine Wilbourn turned himself in Tuesday afternoon.
  • Tremaine Wilbourn turned himself in Tuesday afternoon.
Tremaine Wilbourn, the man accused of shooting Memphis Police officer Sean Bolton on Saturday night, turned himself in to authorities on Monday afternoon.

Memphis Police Director (MPD) Toney Armstrong was contacted at 4:53 p.m. and advised that Wilbourn had turned himself in to the U.S. Marshalls Office. Wilbourn was then taken into MPD custody and is being questioned by the MPD's homicide bureau.

"I would again like to thank everyone, the citizens of Memphis, residents abroad, and fellow law enforcement agencies who have reached out with prayers, condolences, and support. In particular, I want to thank the officers of the Memphis Police Department and the U.S. Marshals’ services for their tireless efforts," Armstrong said in a press release issued on Monday afternoon.

On Saturday night at 9:18 p.m., the MPD received a call from one of their own radios after a citizen found Bolton and used his radio to call for help. Bolton was shot multiple times and later died at the Regional Medical Center.

Before he was shot, Bolton had approached a 2002 Mercedes-Benz that was parked illegally on Summerland Avenue in Parkway Village. A passenger in the vehicle, later identified as Wilbourn, confronted Bolton. A brief struggle ensued between the two, and Wilbourn allegedly shot Bolton multiple times. The driver of the vehicle and the suspect fled the scene, but the driver later turned himself into police. He was released without charge.

Police searched the vehicle after the driver turned himself in and found 1.7 grams of pot and some digital scales. They believe Bolton interrupted a drug deal, and police are unsure if any drugs were removed from the vehicle after the car fled the scene.

Wilbourn was on supervised release by the U.S. Western District Court for a 121-month sentence for bank robbery. 

Tags: , , ,

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment


Readers also liked…

  • Memphis' "Summer of Fear"

    Thirty-seven years ago this week, Memphis became a city in fear. In the late summer of 1969, a cold-blooded killer stalked the streets, and over a period of 28 days, police made one grisly discovery after another. In the end, the slayer was captured after a wild chase by a posse of ordinary citizens. After his arrest, George Howard Putt told reporters, “I’d do it all again.” The murder spree began on the afternoon of August 14, 1969 ...
    • Mar 16, 2016
  • Digital Greensward Campaign Seeks to 'Cage the Zoo'

    • Mar 4, 2016
  • Ghost River Requests $66,455 For Tap Room, Renovations

    • May 12, 2016
© 1996-2017

Contemporary Media
460 Tennessee Street, 2nd Floor | Memphis, TN 38103
Visit our other sites: Memphis Magazine | Memphis Parent | Inside Memphis Business
Powered by Foundation